I enjoy going all out on costumes. I’ve done it since I was a kid. I remember in my early years making myself a boom box, jack in the box, Hershey bar – just to name a few. I guess some things don’t change – even when you become an adult. This year, as a family, we decided to be the muppets. The kids had never seen the muppets, but they liked the idea when we showed them pictures of the characters. We have rented a couple Muppet Movies and watched some YouTube clips to expose them a bit more. They are all sold out now. Here are the costumes and a brief description of how we did it. If you would like more information, just email me.
Dr. Bunsen: I was Dr. Bunsen, and he was the most challenging to make. The only way I saw Dr. Bunsen made was paper mache. I don’t know why I didn’t want to do paper mache, but I didn’t. So, I came up with the idea to make the head out of a Chinese lantern.
I had a 24 inch Chinese lantern. I wanted to use the inside wire as a brace for my head, so I planned accordingly, reinforced the area I wanted to cut out for my head with duct tape and then cut out a hole big enough for my head to go through. The challenging part was working the felt around the head. I started the fabric where the front of my neck would go. I did a couple folds around where the mouth and chin would go. I stuck a half of a foam ball under the fabric for a chin. I used duct tape to attach the fabric in the cut out area and folded a couple duct tape pieces in circles to attach the fabric to the lantern. I used a piece of cardboard under the fabric for the ears and put a clear, small rubber band around them to hold the fabric in place. I then continued to pull the fabric and gather as needed until I reached all the way around the back of the head. I tucked the fabric inside and taped it down. The back of the head wasn’t perfectly flat, but I was OK with that. I cut out a hole for the mouth and added the black fabric that you can see through. We spray painted clown glasses black and attached them with hot glue. The nose is a half of a foam ball covered in fabric and then goes up to the bridge of the nose. The clothes were a business shirt, slacks, tie and lab coat. I had big green gloves too.
Miss Piggy: Abby was Miss Piggy. She had a glamour dress and the pig nose, ears and tail we purchased online.
Animal: Kenzie was Animal, and this was definitely my favorite. I couldn’t find orange tights, believe it or not, so we stuck with red. I found some black sport pants at Goodwill that I cut zig zag around the knee area. I found an orange long sleeve shirt at Goodwill too. The vest is two t-shirts (red and yellow). The yellow shirt I just cut short and straight down the center to make the vest. The red t-shirt I just used as fabric that I cut into flame looking things. I finished it off with some sequin trim. Kenzie’s head was easier than it looks. We came up with the idea to attach pink fur to a bike helmet. The bike helmet had venting areas with a mesh fabric. We just pinned it on there. We used a little hot glue around the brim of the helmet. Once the hair was on, we added the foam eyeballs and painted orange foam nose. We used a hot glue gun to attach those. She had drumsticks as an accessory.
Kermit: Corban was Kermit, and we bought his costume.
With costumes complete, we were able to head off to our church Harvest Carnival.