Often times people think of worshipping God as confined to a handful of minutes on Sunday morning while the music is being sung. I don’t believe it was ever intended to be limited to that. Sure, that can be a fabulous time to worship. However, God is bigger and more creative than that. Worship is simply paying reverence (deep respect) to God. Therefore, worshipping can be found in all aspects of our lives. How ever we choose to honor God and recognize him throughout the process can be considered worship. It can be found in work or in play, and it boils down to a heart condition. I wanted to expose my kids to a variety of ways people can worship. Here are some thoughts I explored with the kids.
* Song – We listed to the song, “Here I am to Worship,” paying attention to the lyrics.
* Art – We looked at a fabulous book called “At Break of Day,” by Nikki Grimes and artwork by Paul Morin. I love the art in this book. It is my favorite book about creation and brings the story alive for me. I have put a link to Amazon at the bottom of this post.
* Instruments – We explored this concept a couple days ago with our tambourine.
* Nature – I typed in “nature photography” in a Google image search. Then, I let the girls point to the one that interested them, and we clicked on the picture to see it bigger. A lot of people express feeling most worshipful to God when they are out in creation. Can’t you see why? His glory and creativity is so evident in this world. If it weren’t dumping rain, we would have gone out to enjoy the nature.
* Poetry – I read them a poem from a site I found as they closed their eyes and listened. Some people really respond to God by writing or reading poetry. Reading the Psalms can be very comforting and a great avenue for worshiping.
* Teaching/Reading – I can identify this one. I feel myself becoming more worshipful as I gain knowledge about God through good teaching or Bible reading.
* Prayer – Communion with God can bring us to our knees in praise.
* Dance – I turned on some worship music and let the kids dance.
* Serving – Living out God’s command for us to serve one another is complete worship through our own sacrifices and love for others. “Faith without deeds is dead.”
- I know there are many other ways to worship. I would love to hear how you love to worship God.