“Make every effort to live in peace with all men.” – Hebrews 12:14A
Today I wanted to teach my kids how to resolve conflict in a peaceful way. Therefore, I presented them with four different situations:
1) You want the same toy as someone else.
2) You want to watch a television show, but your sister wants to watch a different one.
3) You want to be left alone, but your sister keeps bugging you.
4) You accidentally stepped on your sister’s toe.
We decided to act out these scenarios to see what they would do naturally. After they did what they thought they should do, I gave them some other tools to solve things peacefully. Here are the tools:
1) Sharing – This can resolve a number of conflicts that kids encounter. It’s great to teach kids to have a generous heart.
2) Yielding/Serving – Letting another person have their own way or choice in a situation teaches selflessness.
3) Leaving it to Chance – Teaching kids how to do rock, paper, scissors or flip a coin is another great way to maintain peace.
4) Taking Turns – This is a great way to keep things “fair,” which is so important to kids.
Giving kids tools to deal with situations they encounter will help them maintain peaceful relationships in their lives.