- Boiling water
- A cup
- Corn syrup
- A teaspoon
- A fork
- Fill half a cup with boiling water.
- Add three teaspoons of gelatin to the boiling water.
- Let it soften before stirring with a fork.
- Add a quarter of a cup of corn syrup.
- Stir the mixture again with your fork and look at the long strands of gunk that have formed.
- As the mixture cools slowly add more water, small amounts at a time.
- After you let it sit for a while, it will turn into more of a Jell-O like substance.
This was just a fun, quick activity I thought the girls would enjoy…and they did. My girls had fun mixing the ingredients and then touching and playing with it. Make sure you are handling the boiling water and that they are being very careful around it. We also did a quick lesson on the purpose of mucus. The simple explanation I gave them is that it is a sticky substance that helps grab dirt and germs so that those bad things don’t go deeper into our bodies. Boogers protect us.
It takes seconds, and you don’t need to sign up for anything.